Torbay Property Management

Torbay Property Management, 35 Torwood Street, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 1ED

Tel: 01803 295291 | Fax: 01803 293474 | Email:

Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the FAQ, here you can read frequently asked questions and answers you can also ask a question.

Below are the latest 10 questions submitted, but if they do not answer your question, try browsing the entire database.

  1. Inventory
  2. Insurance
  3. More than one person on an tenancy agreement?
  4. Can I have pets?
  5. Damages
  6. Maintenance of the property
  7. Property visits
  8. When do I pay rent?
  9. Redirecting your mail
  10. Why use an ARLA member?

10 most frequently asked questions

  • 1. Inventory

    An inventory will be supplied. Two copies will be given to you to check and amend where needed. Both copies must signed and dated by you, one returned to us as soon after moving in as possible, one copy kept for your records.

    If we do not receive a copy of the inventory from you within 1 week of your tenancy start date, we will assume that it is correct and therefore, you will be liable for any errors and irregularities that may be on the inventory when you vacate.

    Back to top
  • 2. Insurance

    If any items in the property belong to you, it will be your responsibility to insure them, neither the landlord nor the agents can accept responsibility for damage to them, however caused, during your stay.

    It is strongly recomended that you take out contents insurance to cover your personal possessions, some policies will also cover a limited amount of the Landlords fixtures and fittings as well.

    Please check out the insurance companies listed on our LINKS page, they may well be able to offer some very competitve rates for your specific insurance needs.

    Back to top
  • 3. More than one person on an tenancy agreement?

    If more than one person is mentioned on an Agreement then each person is responsible for each other and their actions, and if they decide to leave the property, then our advice is available for how this will affect the other tenants.

    Please contact our office for further advice on your specific situation.

    Back to top
  • 4. Can I have pets?

    Pets are generally not allowed in any of the properties we manage unless written permission has been granted by the landlord and if they are found to be on the premises without permission you may be asked to re-home them.

    If pets are accepted, an extra deposit amount will be required.

    Back to top
  • 5. Damages

    Any damages to the property will be paid for from the deposit on your departure, and we will look to you for any further payment needed to make up the deficit if required.

    Providing your account is up to date, the property is not damaged, you have complied with all the terms of the lease and clearance has been given by the Landlord, the deposit will then be sent to a forwarding address (that you must provide) within fourteen days of the date you vacate the property, simultaneously allowing us access.

    Failure to adhere to the above conditions may result in a delay in payment.

    Back to top
  • 6. Maintenance of the property

    The general maintenance of the property is the responsibility of the landlord and if any work needs doing during your stay you must not instruct builders etc. without obtaining our or the landlord’s permission (unless it is an emergency such as a burst pipe). Instead, you must ring our offices stating your name, address and telephone number and the nature of the problem and we will take whatever action is needed to rectify the situation.

    However, we look to our tenants to inform us if problems persist after a repair has been made, or work is started and not finished. We also expect the tenant to advise us of any damp or mould problems the property may have and to provide sufficient ventilation to prevent mould growth around windows and window frames etc. If this growth does occur, wash affected areas with a proprietary brand of mould remover after informing us.

    Back to top
  • 7. Property visits

    The cleanliness of the property and its furnishings are the tenants responsibility and these must be kept in good condition during your stay and carpets etc shampooed if needed, especially before the property is vacated.

    We carry out property visits of all the properties we manage on a regular, normally quarterly, basis during the tenancy and when you receive our letter concerning this it would be appreciated if it could be answered as soon as possible so that a convenient time for the visit to take place can be arranged. However, spare keys are held in case the tenant is unavailable on the appointed day.

    Back to top
  • 8. When do I pay rent?

    Rent for the property is due on the same day of the month as the day you signed your Tenancy Agreement on.

    We will supply you with a standing order mandate for you to take to your bank and they will then set up direct payments from your account to ours.

    Please also note that under the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement all late payments may well attract additional charges.

    Back to top
  • 9. Redirecting your mail

    It is a good idea that when you leave the property you arrange with the Post Office for your mail to be redirected.

    They do this for a small charge - we cannot guarantee mail sent to the property after your departure is sent to you.

    Please use the link on our Links page to visit the Post Office's website.

    Back to top
  • 10. Why use an ARLA member?

    The importance of using a professionally qualified agent

    During times of significant financial changes, almost everyone is tightening their financial belts.

    It is often seen as an easy way to save a few pounds, by entrusting your most valuable asset to the agents who give you the cheapest deal. Be very careful though, your property is worth a lot of money, surely you want to protect that asset as much as possible by using an agent who actually holds professional qualifications within the industry?

    It's all very well going for agents who are members of 'this and that' trade body, but which of these do you actually need to be qualified to join and which ones do you simply buy your membership???

    ARLA - the Association of Residential Letting Agents - is THE leading authority in the country within the letting industry. Membership has nothing to do with how much you pay them to join, membership can only be achieved by passing professional qualifications to ensure the highest level of competency is achieved and maintained, giving landlords security that an agent who is a member actually knows how to look after their most valuable asset. Members are also required to maintain and operate separate designated client accounts where your money is held completely separate from the operating funds of the firm.

    Membership also ensures member agents are updated regularly with the latest legislation and information relevant to providing the highest level of service to both landlords and tenants.

    Client money protection, professional indemnity insurance and yearly accountants reports are all compulsory parts of membership to ARLA.

    We at Torbay Property Management have been members of ARLA for over ten years. Although the government has not yet made it a mandatory requirement for letting agents to be professionally qualified or be professionally regulated, it is something that the industry requires, with many agents opening and closing regularly with little or no experience or knowledge to safeguard the landlords or tenants.

    With lots of information being printed and offered to landlords regarding new legislation and with the health and safety of tenants at risk, it’s worth asking the questions, is the information accurate or years out of date, putting you as the landlord or even your tenants in not only financial but also legal jeopardy

    Most trade bodies available nowadays encourage agents to follow a set of 'guidelines' provided for a fee - please do not be drawn into thinking membership means an agent holds any professional qualifications, because it doesn't. For a simple yearly fee and completion of a form you can become a member and start trading. I encourage you to check with these trade bodies as to what their requirements are for membership.

    If the agent you are using or thinking of using cannot provide you with the assurance of knowing they are a member of ARLA or at the very least hold some form of qualifications within the industry - - the question you need to ask is why not?

    Then decide if saving a few pounds on an agent looking after your most valuable asset is a good idea???????


    For more information please visit

    Back to top